It’s nice to know when people actually listen to your travel-related rambles, so I would like to thank Plussizediva for nominating my blog for the Liebster Award 2014. As well as being flattered, I now have a chance to ramble even more. Result!
1. Why do you blog?
I love writing, but despite having a bit of imagination I never really considered making a career out of it. So blogging and building up a portfolio for potential employers goes hand in hand!
2. What is the strangest food/experience you’ve had?
Not the strangest, but the stupidest – when I was in Italy my Italian landlord gave me a fresh artichoke plant to eat, and I downed the leaves, spikes and all, somehow without tearing my oesophagus or colon.
3. What city did you go to on your first plane ride?
Montpellier in France. It was for the first part of my Year Abroad as part of my French and Italian degree. Swooping down into the sunset bay of Palavas les Flots was rather awesome.
4. What is great about your native city/country?
Despite its size and population there is still plenty of lush greenery and wildlife can be very close at hand. As in “eating out of your dustbin” close at hand.
5. Where are you off to next? Why?
Not sure yet but possibly a return trip to Norway, this time with some northern lights, to prove we’re not disastrously unlucky.
6. Who inspires you?
To be honest I’m more inspired by events, stories and films than people; if someone inspires you that can make you want to be them rather than yourself.
7. What is your dream vacation?
A safari in the wilds of Africa!
8. List three cities that you highly recommend.
Bath is beautiful, friendly, and easy to navigate without a car as well as having oodles of lovely restaurants.
Montpellier is probably very different now but when I went it was full of yellow stone, sparkling fountains, sunny weather and trams that were considerately quiet. It’s also within easy reach of the Mediterranean.
Sydney in low season because it’s bustling but manageable, the weather and food are gorgeous (I had the best steak sandwich ever in Darling Harbour) and there are plenty of attractions mere steps away.
9. Any nightmare vacations?
My first trip to Turin wasn’t great but that was for different reasons. Coming back for Easter that year was a disaster though, as the baggage handling company had changed hands, meaning the limits had changed and everyone was charged extra; they only accepted payment by credit card, which I didn’t have; no one told us where to go for check-in, so everyone on my flight was late. Fortunately, a lovely Scottish lady and French man behind me in the queue paid my excess fee for me and refused to hear of me paying them back.
10. Would you like to live in a foreign country? Which one?
I’ve often thought about this but the charm of somewhere evaporates when you realise you have to work 9-5 and pay bills and taxes like anywhere else. If I had just left school and didn’t know what to do with my life I might have gone to live in Australia for the wildlife, open spaces, food and people.
In turn, I have five blogs I would like to nominate for this award. It should be ten, but I am rubbish/have exacting standards/spend more time writing than reading.
Trivia hounds and London historians avast! One of the few London Underground projects without line closures, this blog aims to post an interesting fact about every single station.
A fantastic cook trialling recipes from celebrity chefs and her own concoctions while musing about the joys and difficulties of culinary creations.
Want simple but beautiful nail designs and don’t know where to start? Try here.
An insanely well-researched journey through Disney’s features and shorts with amusing reviews and comments from the blog creators.
I know, I know, everyone ups sticks to Korea to teach English, but spare a moment to read this blog and you might find something different.
If you’re awesome enough to appear on this list, please thank me by indulging in the following:
LIEBSTER AWARD RULES: WHAT YOU AS A NOMINEE NEED TO DO
- Thank the person who nominated you and provide a link to his or her blog.
- Answer the 10 questions by the nominee before you.
- Nominate 10 of your favorite blogs with fewer than 200 readers, and notify them of their nomination.
- Come up with 10 questions for your nominees to answer
TEN QUESTIONS FOR MY NOMINEES
1. If you had 24 hours to spend anywhere on Earth, where would it be?
2. Out of all the places you’ve been, which one would make a good supervillain base?
3. What was your craziest journey and why?
4. If you could do one thing to make travelling easier, what would it be?
5. What’s the most disturbing/amusing search term people have used to find your blog?
6. Which has been your favourite blog post and why?
7. If your blog were televised, who would you want to present it?
8. Do you write your blog on the go, in focussed sessions, whenever the muse takes you, or all three?
9. Have you ever had to deal with any internet trolls?
10. What is your favourite blog, regardless of the number of followers?
Any questions, drop me a line.
I’ll be posting additional ramblings later today.